Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Hi from New Zealand!/Hallo aus Neuseeland!

Now the real adventure begins! Until now, even the exotic location of Hawai'i was still "only" a family visit, but now I'm completely on my own - crossed the equator for the first time in my life, am in the southern hemisphere for the first time, and looking forward to seeing the southern star constellations for the first time.

I arrived in Auckland this noon after losing a day somewhere near the Fiji Islands - but I don't plan to go back to find it. I'm staying at a backpackers' hostel here for the night, a location that is functional rather than luxurious, but as I'm moving on in the morning, that's fine. Internet access is easy and not too expensive, fortunately.

The city is crowded and busy, but I discovered an interesting alternative this afternoon. OK, I confess - it happened because I was looking for a quilt shop, and the one easiest to reach was across the harbour. I enjoyed the ferry ride over - the view of the city on both sides is fantastic from the water. Devonport on the north side is charming, with a small town feeling to it, and an artsy-craftsy flair. After getting some fabric pieces at the quilt shop I strolled around, looking at the quaint houses and enjoying the atmosphere. That was a pleasant start to my NZ adventure! More from the next stops...


Ich bin heute mittag in Auckland angekommen; jetzt kann das Abenteuer wirklich beginnen! Bisher waren meinen Stationen, selbst das exotische Hawai'i, Familien/Freundesbesuche, aber hier kenne ich und kennt mich niemand. Ich freue mich unbaendig, zum ersten Mal in der suedlichen Haemisphaere zu sein, den Aequator zum ersten Mal ueberquert zu haben, und die Sternbilder zu sehen. Der Tag, der mir irgendwo auf dem Weg ueber den Fidschiinseln verlorenging, wird verloren bleiben - ich gehe nicht zurueck, um ihn zu suchen!

Auf der Suche nach einem Patchworkgeschaeft entdeckte ich einen schoenen Ortsteil ueber der Bucht. Ich fuhr mit der Faehre hin - ein toller Blick auf die Stadt! - und fand entzueckende alte Haeuser im Stadtteil Devonport. Das war ein schoener Kontrast zur lauten, beschaeftigten Grossstadt. Morgen geht's weiter mit dem Bus; ich berichte demnaechst von den naechsten Stationen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Heidi,
es ist schön zu hören, das Du soviel schönes und neues siehst und erlebst. Geniesse die Zeit, auch wenn Du mir sooooo fehlst.
Habe am Dienstag endlich eine schöne Wohnung gefunden.
Gruß Silvia