Saturday, May 06, 2006

Scentsational season

The sun and the warmth are bringing out the wonderful scents of the season - now that the daffodils and hyacinths are on their way off the spring stage, the next stars are waiting in the wings. May has two, three real highlights to offer - lilacs and lilies-of-the-valley are already budding, and I look forward to their scent on walks in the coming weeks. Then it won't be long till the peonies take over before the summer scents of roses and lavender predominate the coming season.

Those are the most important ones that occur to me - though I should mention the delightful smell of freshly mown lawn, the mysterious, tantalizing scent of something unidentifiable hidden behind a high hedge in the neighborhood, and the numerous flowers and blossoming trees and bushes that I don't know on a first name basis...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Spring, when there's a warm wind carrying those scents, and the birds are singing, I am always reminded of Uhland's poem:

Die linden Lüfte sind erwacht
sie säuseln und weben Tag und Nacht
sie schaffen an allen Enden.
Oh frischer Duft! Oh neuer Klang!
Nun armes Herze, sei nicht bang,
nun muss sich alles, alles wenden!

I love to be outside now, but unfortunately my husband is suffering from "hayfever" (he doesn't react to grass, however, but to the pollen of the birches, of which there are a lot in our neighbourhood.) It's sad he can't enjoy spring together with me! :(

RainbowCatcher said...

Oh, those are lovely lines!