Sunday, May 14, 2006

"In case there's a change in the weather"

This line from the "Surrey with the Fringe" song ("Oklahoma" musical) has been on my mind during the past days. I realized that I was thinking "another sunny day" one morning and asked myself why I was not content. After all, I complain as much as anyone else when the weather is bad (i.e. dark, cloudy, rainy, stormy) for days on end. I guess it's all about change and variety.

A German saying goes:

"Nichts ist schwerer zu ertragen,
als eine Reihe von guten Tagen."

Roughly, that translates as "Nothing is more difficult to handle than a string of good days."

Is it the fact that we don't appreciate things when we have them all the time, so that "bad" weather makes us thankful for "good" weather? (I realize that "bad" and "good" are relative - in desert areas, rainy days would be the "good" ones.) Or does it mean we humans have a basic need for change and get bored when things are always the same?

I can't imagine living in a climate where the weather and vegetation are the same all year round. I love the changing seasons and find variety invigorating. And when it comes down to it, I can't control what the weather does anyway. I have to take it as it comes. But what about other aspects of my life? Should I attempt to bring more change into it? Food for thought there...

Lest this entry should get too philosophical, here's a nice appropriate weather rhyme in German. It parodies the typical farmers' sayings about signs and weather:

"Wenn der Hahn kräht auf dem Mist,
dann ändert sich das Wetter -
oder's bleibt wie es ist!"

(When the rooster crows on the manure pile, the weather will change - or stay the same.)

No comments: