Sunday, April 09, 2006

Whither weather nick?

When I chose the theme for this blog, I decided to create a nickname for myself that goes with it. My other internet identity is in a specific context, and I decided that this should be, to use a Pythonesque turn of phrase, "something completely different".

My first ideas for weather-related nicks came from songs: "Stormy Weather", "Sunny", "Windy". Not bad, but each is one-sided, and my life, like the weather, consists of many contrasting elements. "Partly Cloudy" was a possibility that seemed more suitable, though it does emphasize the negative aspect, clouds, too much for my taste. Besides, a friend said it makes me sound rather shady! ;)

"Punxatawny Filly" was another name that occurred to me - from a movie that relies heavily on weather for its story, and that I always enjoy seeing. I liked the humor implied in that one, but still didn't feel like it was exactly what I wanted.

Finally I remembered a thought I've pondered for quite awhile. A rainbow, I realized some time ago, is a phenomenon that occurs only when sunshine and rain meet. (I know: "Elementary, my dear Watson", but superficial knowledge of a fact is not the same as grasping the deep truth of it.) One without the other does not produce that outburst of colored light that fascinates me every time I see one. That was it, I knew - precisely what I wanted to say about myself and weather-related, all in one!

But would I be able to register that as a name? There are so many people here that popular words are likely taken already, and I do not care to be "Rainbow123". More importantly, I realized that I am not a rainbow - and do not want to be one! A rainbow is ethereal, elusive - a trick of the light that can't be grasped. No matter how hard you try, you'll never find the end of it, so it doesn't matter whether or not there's a pot of gold there.

No, I'm not a rainbow, but I can see them. I want to look up and see more than the dark clouds and the precipitation that are currently overhead. I want to look up, not down, and see more than the puddles and the next steps lying ahead of my feet. I want those feet firmly planted on the ground, though my head is in the stars. I want to rejoice in the beauty of bright colors that make creation so wonderful.

More than that - I want to sub-create. I want to capture the fleeting moment, to make it visible for longer than the blinking of an eye, to make it tangible - to have and to hold. I want to take a rainbow and make it into a work of art for myself, family, friends, the world to see.

To see and to catch rainbows, then to share them with others - what a purpose in life!

I am RainbowCatcher.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi RainbowCatcher....

what a surprise you have the same nick as i have
I have it for i think 7 years now and i call myself RainBowCatcher on the internet i even have an www.rainbowcatcher.com

when i wanted to make a blog here i could not claime my name and i saw you had it alread.

Its oke i dont mind but now i undersstand why i could not claime it

Its a non excisting name only we thought of funny....

Friendly greetigs from Holland a small land by the see....

RainbowCatcher said...

That is a surprise indeed! I thought I was making up a new combination - I guess it's true that there is nothing new under the sun. Best wishes to you and your lovely family (I looked at your site) and greetings from your neighbor country Germany!