Thursday, April 06, 2006

Is weather blogworthy?

Of course it is! Weather is a time-honoured conversational opening, not only in England. It's a neutral start for talking to strangers that can lead to more, yet doesn't oblige either speaker. It's a common factor to people all over the world - we all experience weather, some more directly, some less. And above all, it is something that is not man-made, so that remarks about it need not be taken personally.

Weather begins conversations that can develop in many directions. It can be a highly political topic - global warming anyone?! - or deeply personal (the aches and pains that often plague people with rheumatism when the wind's from a certain direction, for example). It can serve as a take-off for philosophical remarks, be the subject of jokes and puns, and give us a vent for personal feelings.

Weather is the subject of songs and poems, of movies, and an important part of many books. But the most important reason for my choice of this blog theme is - weather is a vital part of my everyday life! It often determines my activities (outdoor or indoor today?) and influences my mood (feeling bright and energetic or down in the dumps). As a walker, rain or shine, I'm directly subjected to it every day.

Will this blog be a weather report? Yes and no - I'm sure it will include much more than that, but that's where I'll start. I hope you'll enjoy reading it!

No comments: