Thursday, July 20, 2006

Record highs

I'm not sure if this extremely hot, sunny weather still qualifies as "Kaiserwetter", but if so, the old fairy tale suddenly makes sense - the emperor would certainly feel most comfortable wearing the new 'clothing' made by those rascally tailors!

Now that football is no longer the general conversation topic, we are back to the weather, and it does provide plenty of stuff for chatting with others. When meeting other dog owners on the (admittedly brief!) walks in the early morning or late evening, we exchange information about how our pets are surviving the heat. Other garden owners tell of the problems their flowers and produce are having and how much watering it takes to keep the lawn alive. One neighbour informed me that his gooseberries are not ripening on the bush - they're actually cooking in the sun! Unfortunately, that does not improve their flavour, apparently.

We humans wanted sunshine, so I guess we shouldn't complain - it is nice to have summer weather, though it's hard to get much work done. This week is a vacation week for my family; no need to travel - the patio and back yard are as nice as any beach could be, with more shade than most, and have the advantage of close proximity to the refrigerator for cool drinks.

We are all wearing just enough clothing for modesty, though still too much for comfort. I have my long hair pinned up - a style I don't consider flattering, since I look like a prim schoolmarm that way, but vanity must take a back seat to practicality.

As my computer and sewing machine are located on the top floor of the house, I'm not spending much time here, understandably. I'll be back more often when it cools down; thunderstorms are predicted for today, but it's never certain that we will actually get rain in our area, and all that's happening so far is that the air is getting very humid and muggy. Of course, if it really does storm, that will mean keeping the PC switched off, so don't expect me till you see me...

No comments: