Monday, June 05, 2006

Summer's Tricolor Triumvirate

The typical wildflowers for this time of the year are blooming alongside roads and on fields - red poppies, white daisies, and blue cornflowers. Yes, dear Americans, red, white, and blue - but the tricolore of France is closer to Germany geographically and historically than the U.S. flag.

Red poppies are one of my favorite flowers - they bloom around my birthday, and since the flowers of my birth month, lilies-of-the-valley, are usually no longer blooming at that time, and red is my favorite color family, poppies are my birthday flowers. They don't keep, of course, so there's no sense in picking them and putting them in a vase, but I don't need to own them to enjoy them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And there is no eidelweiss to take the place of the lily of the valley? Or are you too far away from Switzerland?

Anonymous said...

As if that is all Switzerland is known for. We have music in the hills also I'll have you know. We aren't a one hit wonder like some cinematic sorts. Maria vonn Trappp

RainbowCatcher said...

Yikes! The hills are alive...

Anonymous said...

There are lots of lilies-of-the-valley still in flower in the lower, shady part of our garden. I love the scent of them! The peonies are just starting to open, I hope very much there won't be any heavy rain now to spoil them (enough that the rhododenron blooms were over all too quickly due to the rain)

apropos "Sound of Music" : Swiss TV showed this old musical last Sunday afternoon! I felt quite nostalgic watching it, and have now the melody of "Edelweiss" in my head! *g*